If you have any questions about these policies, please contact us.
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information. Please also read our Data Processing Policy to learn how we handle situations where we are acting as the Data Processor rather than the Data Controller.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways:
- if and when you provide information to us
- automatically through operating our services
- and from outside sources.
Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account / services. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a Devise Graphics account to provide a name and email address.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something from us: a subscription to a hosting plan or a domain, for example–you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
- Communications with Us (Hi There!): You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with our support engineers about a support question.
Information We Collect Automatically
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services–for example, when you login to your hosting account or use our web site.
- Usage Information: We collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, searches, button clicks) along with information about your device (e.g., mobile screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
How We Use Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and as follows:
- To provide our Services – for example, to set up and maintain your account or charge you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop our Services – for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to monitor domains more efficiently;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To monitor and protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Devise Graphics and others;
- To communicate with you about offers and promotions offered by Devise and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Devise Graphics and our products; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations and serve relevant advertisements.
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
How We Share Information
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information) and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers). We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- As Required by Law: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request. For more information on how we respond to requests for information about dnsmonitor.io users, please contact us.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so. Aggregated and De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
(1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account–for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
(2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
(3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
(4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to one of Devise’s websites, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to Devise’s websites and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our websites.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us to, well, find out how to reach us.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Data transfers and the use of Data Sub Processors
Devise Graphics will not share Subject Data with a third party not directly associated with the provision of services without their explicit consent. Devise Graphics will also not transfer Subject data to a third party country outside of the UK or EEA that is not compliant with the applicable data protection laws via adequacy agreement, Binding Corporate Rules or other legally appropriate means as defined by the Information Commissioners Office without their explicit consent.
Devise Graphics makes use of a number of third party organisations for the purposes of delivery of Services to the Customer.
Whilst the following list is not intended to be exhaustive, Devise Graphics typically only transfers the personal data relating to our customers, where required for the activities set out below, to the following third parties or Data Processors:
- Digital Ocean Inc – Hosting Infrastructure
- Amazon Web Services, Inc – Hosting Infrastructure
- Tucows Inc - Domain Name Registration & SSL Certificate Issuing
- Microsoft Ltd – Email Infrastructure
- Mailchimp Inc – Provision of bulk emailing services
Devise Graphics will update this list from time to time as our systems and operations evolve and inform you accordingly.
By interacting with Devise Graphics as defined in this policy, the Subject provides their consent for this transfer and use of our Data Processors and their Data Sub-Processors, and for transfer to any other appropriate third party Data Processor for the purposes of delivery of the Services and customer relationship management activities. No data transfer will be undertaken that is outside of the strict scope of the Purposes states in this policy, or that will materially degrade the security of the Subject’s data or the Data Subject’s rights and in any event the security provisions will be compliant with the applicable Data Protection Laws. Such Data Processors and Sub Processors will be contractually bound to process only in accordance with our instructions and to maintain technical and organisational controls in compliance with our security policy and the requirements of the GDPR.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services not be accessible.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, Devise does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of our Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using Devise’s websites, with the drawback that certain features of Devise’s websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
How to Reach Us
Although most changes are likely to be minor, Devise Graphics may change its policies from time to time. Devise Graphics encourages visitors to frequently check this page for any changes to its policies. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the change log below, and, in some cases, we may provide additional notice (such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification through e-mail or your dashboard). Your continued use of the Services after any change in this policy will constitute your consent to such change.
- 24th May 2018 GDPR additions.
- 21st May 2018 Initial version.